The Rev. Canon Andrew Dietsche: Résumé
THE EPISCOPAL DIOCESE OF NEW YORK. Canon for Pastoral Care.
Direct personal Pastoral Care to the clergy of the Diocese of New York and their spouses, partners and children, with a secondary responsibility for Episcopal Visitations to parishes.
- Coordinated medical, mental health, spiritual and financial resources for clergy well-being.
- Liaison to the Clergy Critical Needs Committee, the Executive Committee of the Mid-Hudson Region, and the former Clergy Wholeness Committee; Member of the Liturgy Committee.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Corporation for the Relief of Clergy Widows and Orphans.
- Cartoonist for the Episcopal New Yorker.
- Keynoter for diocesan and regional conferences in New York and New Jersey, particularly priests’ and deacons’ conferences.
- Workshops and Presentations, regionally and parochially, on Pastoral Care in Parishes, Spiritual and Pastoral Issues of Death and Dying, and Clergy Stress and Self-Care.
- Vestry Retreats, Vestry Training, and Vestry Consultation.
- Stewardship education and preaching, and conflict resolution.
SAINT MARK’S EPISCOPAL CHURCH / CHELSEA-ON-HUDSON, NY
Responsibilities for Worship and Preaching, Sacramental Instruction, and Pastoral Care.
THE CHURCH OF THE GOOD SHEPHERD / WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA
- Brought parish out of long-term deficits into financial stability and security, more than doubling the Sunday attendance and tripling stewardship giving.
- Led a successful capital campaign and renovation of the entire physical plant.
- Created new vestry structures, and a new stewardship platform, to focus parish priorities and ministry on the coming church: new mission imperatives in a changing church and culture.
- Developed a comprehensive parish outreach and mission portfolio, including local sponsorship and resettlement of Muslim refugees through Episcopal Migration Ministries.
- Developed an integrated program of spiritual formation which had one third of the parish back on Wednesdays for theological education, the eucharist, healing ministries, and “Stories of God and Everything,” a weekly Bible Study curriculum of my own creation.
- Chairman of the West Springfield Interfaith Association, Convener of the Ministerial Association, and Chaplain to the Board of the West Springfield Open Pantry.
- Member of the Boards of Directors of the West Springfield Partnership for Education, and the regional Westfield Area Mental Health Clinic.
- Led educational programs for area parishes: The Incarnation in Western Art, Benedictine Spirituality in Medieval Art, The Plan of Saint Gall and Benedictine Spirituality, Celtic and Anglo-Saxon Art, Chumash Indian Rock Art, and The Spirituality of Icons.
- Planned and led annual Lenten (1995-2000) and Advent (1995-1999) retreats for area clergy.
- Taught Use of the Voice and Narrative Reading regionally to parish lay readers.
- Served the Diocese of Western Massachusetts on:
- Standing Committee (1998-2001),
- Commission on Ministry (1997-2001),
- Board of Examining Chaplains (1992-2001, and as President 2000-2001),
- Dean of the Hampden Deanery (1994-2000),
- Communications Committee (1990-1995, and as Chairperson 1992-1995),
- Lay Reader & Lay Eucharistic Minister Mentor (1991-1994),
- Elections Commission (1992-1998),
- Chaplain to the Diocesan Summer Camp (1993-1995),
- and Canon of Christ Church Cathedral (1996-2001).
CHRIST CHURCH / WINNETKA, IL
- Primary responsibilities for preaching, teaching, youth ministry and pastoral care.
- Convener of the Winnetka Ministerial Association (1989-1990).
- Member of the Board of Directors of Episcopal Worship Resources (1989-1995).
DOG & PONY PRODUCTIONS / CALIFORNIA AND ILLINOIS
INDEPENDENT SMALL BUSINESS OWNER.
Free-lance Graphic Design and Cartooning, d.b.a. Dog & Pony Productions. Interfaced and contracted with corporate clients, advertising agencies, printers and publishers.
- Responsible for the administrative and financial operations of a one-man small business.
- Created artistic work product for corporate publications and reports, advertisements, brochures, and illustrated a corporate-sponsored education curriculum for the public school system.
- Vestryperson of Saint Andrew’s by-the-Sea Episcopal Church, Pacific Beach, California.
- Director of Youth Fellowship, Christian Education Liaison, Lay Pastoral Visitor, Pastoral Care Committee, Lay Reader, Chalice Bearer and Worship Committee at Saint Andrew’s.
- Mmber of Hunger and Youth commissions of the Diocese of San Diego.
• • EDUCATIONAL HISTORY • •
SEABURY-WESTERN THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY / EVANSTON, IL
- Master of Divinity degree.
- Student Representative to the Seminary Faculty.
- Overnight Volunteer for Evanston Homeless Shelter.
- Clinical Pastoral Education at Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke’s Medical Center, Chicago (1985) and Seminarian Assistant at Saint Francis Episcopal Church, Chicago (1985-1987).
- Created a daily cartoon for the community, reflecting humor in seminary life (1985-1987).
- 1986 Honors: The David Moss Book Award for Academic Achievement.
- 1987 Honors: The Mahlon Norris Gilbert Book Award for Academic Achievement. The Julian Victor Langmead Casserley Award in Theology and Society. The Frederick Clifton Grant Award in New Testament Studies. The Ministry Award.
THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA / SANTA BARBARA, CA
Bachelor of Arts degree. Major in Studio Art, College of Letters and Science. Emphasis in Painting.
CALIFORNIA STATE POLYTECHNIC UNIVERSITY / POMONA, CA
Major in Architecture, School of Environmental Design.
• • LINK TO Sermons AND Cartoons • •
• • PERSONAL • •
Born November 9, 1953 at Frankfurt am Main, West Germany.
Married to Margaret Mahoney Dietsche since 1977, with two grown daughters.
Ordained Deacon on June 13, 1987 and Priest on December 12, 1987.